[TriLUG] hot plug question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Dec 27 11:07:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Ralph Blach wrote:

> I have USB printer off of the USB port.  Every time the boots, a new copy of
> the printer is made and put in the /etc/printcap.

this is the nature of hotplug.

> Is there any way to stop hotplug to stop scanning for printers, where are
> permermanemt?

you need to be in a recent (2.6.13 I think) kernel and use
udev. (Hotplug is now deprecated, so you have to go to udev
for new setups whether you want to or now). Unfortunately
udev is not well documented, particularly anything following
dropping of hotplug. There are some webpages which will give
you the general idea. Since USB uses scsi transport you
start by plugging in your printer, running `systool -vb scsi
` and looking at the strings, which you copy into your
/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules file

Joe