[TriLUG] Open Source and technical writing

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Wed Dec 28 06:33:01 EST 2005

Lisa Boyd wrote:
> On 12/27/05, Scott Lundgren <trilug at capitalfellow.com> wrote:

While I'm clearly not a tech writer, just ask anyone who's reviewed some
of my work, I work with one, and am married to a former one.

>> I'm not familiar with the information that is in a style guide so may
>> need to explain more of what kind of information you are looking to
>> find.
>>

> Information in a style guide can vary from telling you how to format
> documents (like headings, body copy, instructions) to picking either
> email or e-mail as the way to write certain words. Thanks for the
> link. I'll check it out.

Strunk and White, "The elements of style" is the gold standard for
writing in general, there's another one, I think it's "The Chicago
manual of style" or something like that.  The MS book is used just
because of user base, it's become what folks are used to, not that it's
that great, but consistency is almost as important as anything else in
writing.

>> What's the STC?
>>

> Sorry :) Society of Technical Communications. They have a pretty big
> charter in Raleigh I think so I thought maybe someone here might be a
> member or know a member.

My co-worker who is a writer is a member of the STC, he goes to the
annual meeting as well.  I used to go with my wife to the meetings up
north, they are a really big organization, very professional.  Lots of
members use it for networking on the job hunting front.  Many writers
work on a contract basis.

Kevin