[TriLUG] nVidia Problems

rpbarlow at ncsu.edu rpbarlow at ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 29 19:41:36 EST 2005

Hi, I am trying to install the nvidia driver on a newly installed Gentoo
system. I emerged nvidia-glx (and nvidia-kernel).  I am unable to modprobe
nvidia. When I do so, I get the following error:

 FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.14-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

 dmesg | tail shows me:

 nvidia: Unknown symbol register_ioctl32_conversion
 nvidia: Unknown symbol unregister_ioctl32_conversion

 lspci gives me that the video card is:

 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro FX
330/Quadro NVS280] (rev a2)

 This is a 64 bit Opteron system, and I used genkernel to generate the
kernel (I had some trouble with the manual configuration...) I did try,
as the nVidia guide suggested, to make sure that my BIOS had the option
to assign an IRQ to VGA enabled, but my BIOS had no such option (It's a
Sun Ultra 20). Any ideas on what is wrong? Thanks!