[TriLUG] SLES9 RAID and EVMS

Chander Ganesan chander at otg-nc.com
Sat Dec 31 23:45:54 EST 2005

A couple of things...

Novell NSS volumes require that EVMS (the Enterprise Volume Management
System - similar to LVM in concept, but much different from a design
standpoint) be used to manage the entire disk - so LVM really isn't an
option.

I believe you are going about the process backwards Brian.  You'll need
to configure the disk to use EVMS, and then use the EVMS MD region
plug-ins to configure RAID.

The key here is that EVMS needs to manage the physical volumes - it
actually expects to manage the *entire* physical volume(s).

I haven't actually gone through this process myself - setting up RAID
under EVMS - but I do know it's a supported function, and I've done lots
of other nifty things with EVMS.

If I have time early next year I can try to play around with it and
maybe give you some more feedback - it would be useful for me to be more
familiar with anyways.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.