[TriLUG] Corporate solutions for spyware?

Reid Sayre rlsayre at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 9 14:33:07 EST 2006

After paying for and installing "SpySweeper" (from WebRoot software),
and waiting two weeks, neither Spybot nor AdAware found anything (except
the "most recently used" lists, of course).

It looks like SpySweeper has a list of places that have all the spyware
and blocks access to those sites. One of the effects of this is that,
all of a sudden, there are a lot of "404" errors on pages that used to
have a lot of advertising on them. The main function of the sites (well,
the main function for me anyway) still work fine, but, in place of some
advertisements, there are little frames with "page not found" messages
(cnn.com has two of them on their front page, for instance). There was
one time (out of about two months) that I wanted to go to one of these
sites for something and it was blocked. I turned off the "advertising
filter" (a few mouseclicks) and got to the site just fine. When I was
done, I turned the filter back on again.

SpySweeper (like the anti-virus programs) updates its list
automatically. It also scans periodically (once a week, by default) just
to make sure it didn't miss anything.

And it works fine with Norton SystemWorks and Zonealarm free firewall.
Of course, this is Windows. I am not aware of a Linux version or
equivalent. Details at http://www.webroot.com , and they have an
"enterprise" version.

Um, I don't work for WebRoot or own any stock. I'm just a satisfied
customer.

--
Reid Sayre
rlsayre at bellsouth.net