[TriLUG] Wifi performance

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jan 9 14:34:51 EST 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Netstumbler???? -- That's some windoze thing ain't it?

yes but it works very well and it's free ($). When I started
on wifi (about 3 yrs ago) there was nothing like it on
Linux. I haven't kept track of the tools on linux since
then.

> Not really practical, this wap is part of an infrastructure lan, I'd
> need a looonng cat-5 cable to put it in a field and hook up to my
> network.

you don't need to connect the wap to a network. The wifi
client card can associate with it and connect to the httpd
running on it. You're not going to be able to test at high
throughput, but with the number of errors you're seeing, you
should be able to tell if they're still there.

> I'm currently writing a ruby script which will sample the stats from
> iwconfig and ifconfig so that I can see how the errors change over
> time and with changes to the configuration of the WAP.

neat. Can you post it somewhere when you're done?

Joe