[TriLUG] Newbie question reguarding YUM and Linux.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 10 16:30:29 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 14:28, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> So, this thread begs the questions:
>
> What policies/practices have various triluggers been using to
> determine, once they are aware that an update is available, whether or
> not to apply it?
>
> How does the choice of distro/package management system affect these decisions?
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale

This is one of the reasons why I like using OpenBSD. It has a good track
record and is designed to withstand most vulnerabilities. Even with a
firewall cluster, I can't afford the downtime of an upgrade or the
personal time to maintain a constant stream of updates.

I like Mandriva (Mandrake) for similar reasons - mainly because of msec.

I used to love that RH variant that VA Linux put out. It was hardened
and up-to-date - and the updates were timely and *well* tested!

RH is still overcoming some earlier image problems caused by updates
that borked running systems - of course that was a different time. Basic
Linux functionality was expanding rapidly so folks *wanted* those
updates fast, and they were already risk takers or they wouldn't have
been running Linux in their infrastructure!

Most modern updates are fairly boring and mundane. The rpm folks have
learned from the Debian guys to take life a little easier - to be a bit
more cautious. Also, the number of knowledgeable eyeballs on Linux has
increased considerably. The code is less buggy, and the upgrades less of
a risk.

These days, I would say, relax. Use Yum. Automate it. Smile.

Jon Carnes