[TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jan 11 09:20:08 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 07:53 -0500, Chad Thomsen wrote:
> Was curious as to what folks use in the corporate environment on there
> SERVERS and why you use that distro.  I am not trying to start a flame fest
> over which distro is better either as I know some have extreamly strong
> opinions on this.   I am a new linux users and I am using Centos.

Hi Chad,

We're a research lab, not a corporate environment, and we use Fedora
(and a few RHEL installs) for basically everything including:

 - servers: web, email, NFS, samba, NIS, ...
 - clusters: head, compute, and storage nodes
 - laptops and desktops
 - our "hyperwall" (a 4X4 monitor visualization system)
 - data acquisition

which altogether adds up to a few hundred machines in a few buildings.

Also, the relatively new Fedora Extras system has been a real help since
it allows us to join the Fedora packagers to get somewhat obscure bits
of software included with the distro.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD