[TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.

Josh Vickery vickeryj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:22:39 EST 2006

We run Debian mostly because I like it, but also because it is fast to
install, open in every way, easy to keep up to date and has a
tremendous package library available.

I did my first Ubuntu install the other day for a desktop and it looks
pretty darn good.  If the next Ubuntu server release includes some
more stuff (such that it sets itself apart from Debian) I may go with
that.  If Ubuntu gets certified to run Oracle database, then I suspect
we might pick up a new box for that.  The big advantage I see of
Ubuntu over Debian is its growing support for non Free software.  At
home, I have no use for such software, but I find myself compromising
at work (mostly Oracle and Java) due to business pressures.

Josh