Update strategies (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: Newbie question reguarding YUM and Linux.)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 11 20:11:15 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:56, Jason Faulkner wrote:
> (I haven't used RH in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong)
>
> Doesn't RH automatically replace config files saving the old as
> .rpmsave when they change? That to me is reason enough not to auto
> update.
>
> --
> Jason Faulkner

I've *never* experienced that with Mandrake, and haven't seen or heard
of that happening with RedHat in a long, long time. Both are RPM based.
I'm sure there may be some oddities out there - but those packages
wouldn't be found in the main upgrade repositories.

Now some apps, when they go through a major upgrade, require you to
modify the configs - but that is an application problem - and most major
apps at least *try* maintain backwards compatibility. That kind or a
problem will strike no matter what the distro... And I believe that most
auto-updates have options that let you avoid major version updates - or
make you manually ok them.

Again, the beauty of Linux is that we learn from our past mistakes.

Jon Carnes