Gentoo advantage? (was: [TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.)

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Jan 11 22:36:15 EST 2006

Cristobal Palmer wrote:

>I know that there are people on the list who are actively using gentoo
>in production environments, so can one of you give a more complete
>argument for why the customization is easier?

I don't know that I would say that the customization of Gentoo is really
easy necessarily, but *you* make the system the way *you* want it to
be.  Gentoo is not for the casual user, or the new Linux convert for
sure.  But the installation process is great for someone who wants to
learn more about Linux, or even computers for that matter.

> Does a gentoo install
>start out significantly smaller?

YES!!!  Well, I don't know how it stacks up against DSL, but it's pretty
freakin' small on a base install because that's exactly what you get
with Gentoo - a base install.  You compile your kernel, install the
basic Linux tools, yada yada, reboot, and bam you're at a blinking
prompt.  It's small, but you can still choose to add more (X windows,
yada yada).  Of course, most any distribution will allow you to do a
stripped down install, but most of them don't compile from source.  As
Jason pointed out, the USE flags are great for trimming down the
packages, and this is something you won't get with any binary based
distribution.  What you will NOT trim down is install time because
compiling all those packages can take a loooong time (binaries are much
faster to install for sure).

> Do those of you who use it know that
>you would be compiling just about everything to begin with?

Well, yeah, compiling these is what gives you all the flexibility.  If
you don't use kde, don't compile support for kde in your apps (likewise
if you don't use gnome).  For example, the machine I'm typing this on is
rather old and has no DVD drive, so I put "-dvd" in my use flags and all
programs that would otherwise support DVDs don't now.  If I later get a
DVD drive, all I have to do is remove the minus in that USE flag and
emerge --update --newuse --deep world (well, and wait possibly a long
time :)) and bam, DVD support.  The same goes for compiling your own
kernel.  Of course you can do this in any distribution, but the point is
that Gentoo is made with customization in mind!

> Give me
>some arguments that'll inspire me to give gentoo a shot on _my_ old
>clunker laptop.

How about trying it as a challenge to learn new stuff?  Seriously, I
learned a lot just in the install process.  I do actually use it on my
$WORK machine as well (a Sun workstation), and it's been good for that
as well.  I suppose I'd say that Gentoo is a good "hobbyist" Linux
distribution though.  Sometimes you just need your machine to work with
no hassles, and you may not get that very easily with Gentoo.  But if
you're interested in learning a lot, and you have an old clunker and
some free time, give it a whirl!

--
Randy Barlow
Research Assistant