Gentoo advantage? (was: [TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.)

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:06:09 EST 2006

On 1/12/06, David Brain <dbrain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Other distributions tend to start up 'helpful' daemons I
> just don't need and definitely don't want listening on the network.

I think that has changed with several distributions. I know that
ubuntu, for example, doesn't come with openssh-server, and portmap is
aimed squarely at the loopback interface. As far as I know, a default
install of ubuntu doesn't have _anything_ listening to the world.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

So if gentoo comes that way too, good on them.

-CMP