Gentoo advantage? (was: [TriLUG] What distro do you use AT WORK on your SERVERS.)

Myrhillion lug at blackwizard.net
Sat Jan 14 15:59:09 EST 2006

Actually, gentoo also has another method that is meant more like
debian's   stable, testing (I think.. never have run debian just talk so
not positive about this)..

You can set in your make.conf  your architecture to x86, this gives
"production/stable" release versions of the software.
If you want the hottest released ebuilds, you can change it globally to
~x86.

If you want specific packages to be newer and maintain other software as
production, you can set it in /var/portage/package.mask (or something),
don't have access to my gentoo atm for exact path.  You basically list
the ebuild   app-misc/f-spot ~x86   and then "emerge f-spot".

If you're using x86 and there is only a ~x86 version available as an
ebuild, it is listed as masked and won't install if you run "emerge
app_name".

I had stuck with production on my laptop since 2002 when I first
installed gentoo (haven't reinstalled yet) on my dell inspiron 8100.
I have had some issues with gcc updates and kernel recompiles, such that
were a bit thorny over profile changes though, nothing insurmountable
with a little time.
I have slowly allowed some ~x86 ebuilds in namely,  mono and nvidia
related ebuilds.

That said, my laptop is not "production".  I dink around on it, and run
it in linux when I can (dual boot xp).

Doug Taggart