[TriLUG] Palm/Mandriva synchronization question

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 09:11:21 EST 2006

Hello all!

I have transitioned into Mandriva 2006 on my desktop at work and have been
rather productive with the exception of getting my palm pilot to work
properly.  I was using a Kyocera 7135 palm/phone combo until last night
until it died on me.  I was never able to get the Kyocera to sync properly
to my satisfaction but it could have been because of a bad phone.  I cannot
work efficiently without my pda to store all of my important stuff so I am
rather stuck until I sort this out.  Here is the situation:

Palm Z22 - I purchased this last night in the hopes that a new device would
work better than the faulty one
Mandriva 2006 - I have this installed on my laptop with all of the latest
patches using urpmi
Evolution 2.4.1
Exchange 2003 Server

Evolution works well with Exchange server.  I have set up my Exchange
contacts and calendar lists as the default so it doesn't create anything in
the local store.  I have set up the synchronization options in Evolution and
am ready to sync my calendar and contacts.  The problem is that the palm
pilot never connects.  When I hit the hotsync button on the Palm Pilot I see
the following files created:

/dev/pilot -> /dev/ttyUSB1

When the synchronization has failed these files disappear.  It looks like
the laptop recognizes the device but it will never sync.  I contacted the
evolution list and they basically said that I should upgrade to 2.5.2.
Unfortunately this version is not yet available from Mandriva and my
attempts to manually compile the software failed miserably.  Has anyone
gotten this to work?  Is it possible to synchronize this way using this
software?  Any help would be most appreciated.  This is one of the more
important functions that I need to work.  If I can't get this to work
properly (soon) I will be forced to move back to Windows...  :(

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!