[TriLUG] Re: A Slow Serial Modem

Neil L. Little nllittle at vnet.net
Sun Jan 22 19:16:28 EST 2006

Brian,

One thing, instead of autobaud, set the speed manually to 1200 using the
modem AT commands.
I remember that the modems used on a Nortel DMS switch were funny like that.

Also manually turn off the V.92 protocol. (that is an autosetting when
handshaking).

A lot of these older systems required a break character as an attention
signal to get a prompt.
Not all of these "new fangled"  modems will pass a break.
 I don't know if thats a requirment for your "old" system but it bears
though.

In other words you're gonna have to manually "dumb down" your modem

Neil Little, WA4AZL            JARS Forever!
========================
I need one!!! (me thinks)

I'm working on a project that requires a modem connection between a
modern (currently running ubuntu 5.10) linux box and an old proprietary
industrial computer which uses a 1200 baud modem.

To do this project, we purchased a Creative Labs-Modem Blaster 56K V.92
External Modem-DE5621 from Best Buy.
For whatever reason, we can't seem to get it to connect to the old
system at a slow enough speed.

So ... my question is twofold.
1. does anyone have any experience in this area? ie. connecting
modern day stuff with 20+ year old equipment? and/or any experience with
this modem?

2. does anyone have access to OLD modems that would be more
"comfortable" for lack of a better word with slower systems?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
-- Brian Bell
Kneecap Interactive