[TriLUG] Power requirements

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Mon Jan 23 10:39:47 EST 2006

it depends on whether the transistors are in a quiescent state or no.
if you're compiling a kernel constantly or running a server at 80%
utilization, i'd go with a number like 500W for the power and do the
math on the $/W-hr from CP&L.  for a desktop, my guess is that the unit
will not normally be maxed out and something like 50W would be more
appropriate.  the monitor maked a huge difference, too.  CRTs use a lot
more power than LCDs.

regards,

jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.