[TriLUG] New user seeking advice\help

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu Jan 26 08:47:36 EST 2006

While some folks can make the migration from Microsoft Office to
OpenOffice, there are some that need to be able to run MS Office due to
client needs where the import/export within OpenOffice will not work or
may loose formatting necessary. I've run into this personally a few times.

The question that hasn't been asked, and needs to be, is what Version of
Microsoft Office are you wanting to use? Office 2000? Office 2003?
Depending on this will also depend on the solution.

I would agree with trying OpenOffice on Windows. You can download a
Windows version easily from http://www.openoffice.org. It will NOT
affect how Microsoft Office runs. Also during the installation, you can
tell it NOT to change file type associations. I run both on my Windows
installation.

Because of the plugins you say you need, I'm thinking you may need to
run MS Office under Linux. However, this can be tricky as pointed out
earlier in this thread. CodeWeavers, mentioned below offers a
commercially available version of the linux product WINE(Wine Is Not an
Emulator). WINE is a set of API's for linux that will allow most
Microsoft Windows based programs to run on linux. Although WINE itself
is opensource, codeweavers has done major enhancements to the product
where most Microsoft Products, specifically Microsoft Office and it's
plugins, will work properly. The other thing you purchase is their
technical support. I suggest this as a route for someone new to linux
and still needing MS Office. Code Weaver's product is CrossoverOffice
and is fairly inexpensive. I've personally used both CrossoverOffice and
Wine. However, I did not have the plugins you do so you will want to
check with them before the purchase to verify the plugins are supported.

You can check out the WINE project for yourself and see if ALL of your
needs are met with the freely available WINE. There is an Application
Database that you can search to see if your version of MS Office and
plugins have been supported on the freely available WINE. The website is
http://www.winehq.com. The installation of WINE has really been improved
over the past few years, but it might be a daunting task to a newcomer
to linux.

Another alternative you can try is to use a virtual machine. This will
allow you to run linux as a virtual machine on your Windows desktop. The
easiest to use is VMWare. They have a 30 day trial that you can
download. I personally use another opensource project, QEMU. It offers
the same ability, virtual machines on Windows, but does require some
reading and a little work to get it working. It's installation is not as
straight forward as it should be, so it can be tedious to setup. I would
suggest you use the 30 Day VMWare to evaluate what you need.
http://www.vmware.com or http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

As for me, I run Windows XP in a dual boot with Fedora Core on my T43.
The only issue I have run in to is getting the built in Intel IPW2200
wireless working. There is a project that has figured it out and it's
pretty straight forward. http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ is the website.
Worked like a champ.

HTH,
Roy