[TriLUG] Re: geek-friendly ISP's

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Jan 26 10:44:08 EST 2006

Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> I've been running POP, SMTP, SSH and WWW on my server with TWC
> for ~5 years.  Never had a port blocked, yet.

Same here.  I use SMTP, MSA (587), IMAPS, HTTP, HTTPS, and SSH on my
TWC-connected machine.  Only hitch is with SMTP.  Running outbound SMTP
directly from your machine will get you a lot of denied messages because
you are coming from a residential broadband IP address which is
blacklisted.  I used to smart relay my outbound mail to RoadRunner's
SMTP server, but had lots of problems with messages hanging up in RR's
system.  Nowdays, I relay my messages through a server I'm part owner of
at ServerBeach.com.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/