[TriLUG] Debian, LVM, and RAID

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sun Jan 29 15:42:17 EST 2006

Brian McCullough wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 01:33:40PM -0500, Pat Regan wrote:
>> Kevin Otte wrote:
>>
>> > It turns out there is a setting in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to control whether
>> > or not LVM ignores partitions with an MD superblock.  The default is to
>> > ignore them (which seems sane to me), but Debian for some reason as told
>> > it NOT to ignore them.
>>
>> My Ubuntu machine has the same setting (md_component_detection = 0).  I
>> have LVM2 running on top of both RAID 0 and RAID 5 md devices.  LVM
>> doesn't notice the signatures on the underlying partitions.
>

> Don't forget that there is _also_ the "filter" clause in your lvm.conf
> file.

My filter section doesn't seem to be set up to ignore the underlying
partitions.  Running vgscan/pvscan as a regular user gives me permission
denied messages for each partition and md device.

I have been lazy and not gotten around to mirroring my /boot partition
on my desktop.  I'll have to stop being lazy this week and see what
happens :).

Pat