[TriLUG] [non-linux] Best method to clean up a circuit board on a hard drive (Katrina victim)

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 17:31:13 EST 2006

Wayne,

I'd suggest that if the information is REALLY important to you; spend
the money on a professional recovery shop. I say this because hard
drives are not really 'sealed' units. They almost alway have some form
of venting to allow for pressure equalization when taken to different
altitudes.

This means that the salt water is not only on the circuit board, but
all over the drive platters too. More than likely when you spin the
bugger up any accumulated dried debris (salt, etc) is going to cause
havoc and scratch the hades out of your platters ruining the data.

A professional data recover shop is probably going to know how to deal
with this type of problem.

Just something you might want to consider.

-Brian