[TriLUG] OT: C++ Question

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 12:20:49 EST 2006

On 1/31/06, Randy Barlow <rpbarlow at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Brian, I don't know what I was thinking there!  Removed that
> function, and now we have compilage!  Now to move on to the real
> problems (intent errors...)

Don't feel bad.

Back about 20 years ago, I witnessed an interesting little happening
at the Apple booth at OOPSLA.  Apple had just come out with a C++
compiler for the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop, and various folks
were trying it out.

One guy in particular took about a half a dozen tries to get a pretty
simple "Hello World" app to compile, and it wasn't compiler bugs which
were doing him in.  I figure if Bjarne Stroustrup himself was having
so much trouble working through C++ syntax, NO ONE should feel bad
about it.

<flamebait>
I've managed to avoid it myself. ANSI C is fine, but if I'm looking
for a language which supports higher level constructs like OO, I'll go
for something which is better engineered.
</flamebait>
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site