[TriLUG] player for real media?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jan 31 21:37:52 EST 2006

I'm enrolled in an online class with lectures in realmedia
format.I'm looking for a player that can to fast forward
through the files.

neither
  realplayer (v10)
nor
  xine

work OK..

The free download from realmedia (v10 or 10-5 forget which),
plays the files just fine, except I can't fast forward
through them (the FF button is greyed out, and if I push the
time slider forward, the timer starts incrementing again,
but the image is frozen at the frame when I started moving
the slider). If I stop half way through the 1hr lecture and
exit, I have to hear the whole first 30mins again.

The real site says you can fastforward.... but

As a control I downloaded the windows version of realplayer.
The fastforward button is not greyed, but even though you
press it, it doesn't FF.

There is a version of realplay for $19.95 or so, but they
aren't clear about whether it's linux or windows or if you
can fast forward.

I tried compiling up xine and put all the codecs from "all"
and "essential" in /usr/lib/win32 (which according to the
xine FAQ is all I need to do) but xine won't recognise my
real files. The output from the xine build says that it
plays real format 1 and format 2. I have no idea which
format real file I have (`file` just says "real media")

Windows media player does a very nice job, except I don't
want to have to run windows

Helix player doesn't recognise real.

Are there any better players for real?

Thanks Joe