[TriLUG] Debian Ethernet Bridge Woes

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Jan 31 22:09:21 EST 2006

Hey guys. I have an old Toshiba laptop (the old "TriLUG" laptop), and
I'm trying to build a wirless ethernet bridge from my house to the
garage. "Why not just buy an appliance?" You ask? Those of you that know
me know "Cause I'm cheap".

Here's what I need help with. I'm trying to build it using these
instructions:
http://www.pantz.org/os/linux/security/debhard/ap-bridge-fw.en.html

I'm trying to recompile the kernel, the "Debian way", and add bridging
as per the above. When I boot into the new kernel, my wireless card
doesn't work. PCMCIA seems to be, but it says "eth1 is not available".

My next question is about building the kernel. I pruned alot of stuff
out of the .config, i.e. file systems, usb support (no usb on this box),
etc.  I can send my .config if necessary.

Thanks guys,
Roy