[TriLUG] public namservers & road runner dns ips

Wing D Lizard wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 1 10:09:45 EST 2006

I have roadrunner, and the ip address of the dns servers
have changed a few times.  I've called and asked if they
could tell me the ip address of the dns servers, and
they said 'it is dynamic, so we cannot tell you'.

They told me to disconnect my router, and connect it up
to a normal pc, reboot and use ipconfig ( win32) to get
the current dns servers.  I can do this but it is a hassle.

If anybody knows the ip addresses of the dns servers
for roadrunner?

The router was provided by vonage -- it's web page
says it is a rt31p2.  It does report dns servers, but
the ip addresses look funny -- it looks like ones that
I've entered rather than ones from roadrunner.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a public name
server such as 63.226.12.96, and avoid roadrunners
'dynamic name servers' which requires me to redo all
of the computers on my home network?

b\375