[TriLUG] public namservers & road runner dns ips

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed Feb 1 12:03:47 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:09:45AM -0500, Wing D Lizard wrote:
> I have roadrunner, and the ip address of the dns servers
> have changed a few times.  I've called and asked if they
> could tell me the ip address of the dns servers, and
> they said 'it is dynamic, so we cannot tell you'.

Some dhcp clients write a leases file (in my case
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases) which should contain the NS servers issued
by the DHCP server.  You may also be able to configure your dhcp client to
write the resolv.conf to another place, which you as a human can reference
when needed.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5