[TriLUG] Mailman and Virtual Hosts

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 3 01:13:47 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 22:04, Lisa Boyd wrote:
> Hey guys (and gals if any have joined lately!),
>
> I'm installing Mailman on my system and have a couple of "newbie"
> questions I'm sure!
>
> Do I need to have an entry in virtusertable for every list possibility
> (like mailman@ and mailman-request@ and mailman-listinfo@)?? And do I
> also need to list each of these for each virtual host I have defined??

This depends on what MTA you are using (postfix most likely) and whether
you have installed the virtual connector for Mailman.

If you look at the docs that come with Mailman you will find a file that
lays out step-by-step how to run virtual domains using a Postfix/Mailman
combination.

You can also check out the community based FAQ:
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=index

There is a lot of communal knowledge resting in those pages.

> I'm also running CanIt - so do I also have to add each possibility to
> recipients there too? Or can I just get by with it through Sendmail?

CanIt is a formulation of SpamAssassin. SpamAssassin is activated by
incoming mail - the mail is queued via the MTA and passed through
SpamAssassin then parsed out. So all the SA stuff should happen before
the mail is handed to Mailman. There shouldn't be a problem in mixing
the two - at least I've never had any problems there.

> Oh yeah, and the pipermail directory is giving me a Forbidden error.

Check the rights, then check the entry in the http.conf. Most likely you
simply have the hostname defined differently in the config for the list.
Mailman only lets you see the list if the hostname for the webserver is
the same as in the config for the list.  It's a common problem.

> Ah, so many questions :) Any newbie-type explanations out there??
>
> Thanks ya'll!
> Lisa B.

Good Luck - Jon