[TriLUG] tomcat questions

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Feb 3 10:51:50 EST 2006

Rosenstrauch, David wrote:
> Tomcat can definitely be a bit slow.  Trying running the app under Jetty
> and see if it's any faster.  I've had good luck with that server.

Since the OP was looking specifically for a development environment, Jetty
is a good suggestion since it has lower memory requirements.

However, I should caution aganst using Jetty for production work if you
expect the server to see any significant load.  It's been a while since
our last round of testing, but Jetty didn't fare well:

   http://webperformanceinc.com/library/reports/ServletReport/

Tomcat was virtually even with Resin for top contender in performance,
beating JRun and Orion by a slim margin. Jetty and Websphere had less
than half the capacity of the leaders.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformance.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software