[TriLUG] rfc on motherboard for anti-establishment pc

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sat Feb 4 08:49:54 EST 2006

recently, i dropped my anti-establishment pc (non-intel and
non-microsoft system) en route to the open source lab at exploris.  it
hit the sidewalk rather hard and fried the motherboard or processor.  i
really need to buy a new pc since it is a few years old yet spent way
too much money prior to dec 31 to reduce tax liability and am low on
$$$.  repair is inevitable.

so, my request for comment is as follows:

does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement motherboard/processor
that takes the old 512 MB SDRAM and IDE hard drive?  currently, the
motherboard is MSI and processor is AMD Athlon.  am i better off
chunking the old one and chocking it up to experience?

better yet, if someone has a beater machine they want to donate to
exploris and take a tax write off, i can donate my parts to beef it up.
then, we can leave our ubuntu machine in the server room online at 45
Mbps for the open source lab to use.

regards,

jim

--
Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.