[TriLUG] seeking help-desk ticket tracking tool

Gary Weinreb gweinreb at rocksolidsystems.com
Wed Feb 8 12:52:39 EST 2006

You might want to look at the Horde framework and specifically the
ticket-tracking  module, whups.

See:
http://www.horde.org
http://www.horde.org/whups/
You can explore a live application of WHUPS at http://bugs.horde.org/.

Horde is an open source application framework written in PHP, with
great flexibility in terms of authentication method, environment,
functionality, backend databases, and target user language.

I'm pretty certain it will fulfill every specification that you
mention.  Shoot for the moon, you just might get there...

I've hacked around with Whups a good bit in the past, and use Horde
itself extensively.  Let me know if you'd like assistance integrating
it, or any further info, or get on the Horde/Whups mailing lists...

Regards,
Gary Weinreb

Quoting David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com>:

> Hi folks!  I've already talked to a few people and have to come know
> that Request Tracker seems to be a popular solution for tracking
> customer help-desk related issues.  We will soon be running a web
> application which will by nature, have LOTS of users... um, lusers.
> So, in light of that, we are seeking a system we can use to track our
> calls/cases to help us manage this.  If you have any suggestions,
> please include some pros and cons.
>
> What would be icing on the cake for me?  Something which was developed
> using PHP (running on linux/apache), can use MSSQL (yes I said that)
> and possibly even have users auth'd against my AD (LDAP) just like I'm
> able to auth my AD users with apache/httpd (see:
> http://www.turnpike420.net/linux/Apache_ADS_AuthLDAP.txt)  At any
> rate, I realize more than likely a system we get will use mysql or
> postgresql and won't be able to reach my AD for users and auth info,
> which is fine.  I'm shooting for the moon and taking what I can get!
> :)
>
> thanks all,
> David McD

Gary Weinreb