[TriLUG] IMAP Shared Folders

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:44:59 EST 2006

Just back from vacation and catching up on e-mail...

On 2/3/06, Aaron S. Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:
> To throw another success story on the fire, I recently migrated all the
> personal domains I manage (half a dozen or so, including joyner.ws) from
> uw-imap to Cyrus, using the same imapsync.pl script Tanner is probably
> referring to.

Yes, that's the script I'm referring to.  However, in addition to that,
I modified the script to handle large mailboxes (i.e. to re-login in
if parsing the mailbox has gone past the imap timeout) and be
a bit more fault tolerent.  Also, if you're migrating lots of mailboxes,
I have a pam module that will let you open a "backdoor" into their
accounts using a pre-determined password.  This can be added to
just the imap authentication on both sides for only the duration of
moving the mail and that way you don't have to worry about not
being able to access all the imap accounts.  If you're just moving
your own folders, however, this is obviously not needed.

> It's good stuff, not to hard, and orders of magnitude
> faster for most all operations.  And you get the shared folders feature
> as a bonus.  On a historical note, Cyrus was originally written with a
> key feature in mind of being an imap gateway to newsgroups, so you can
> see why shared folders, indexing necessary to deal with ridiculously
> huge folders, and other related features are a natural fit.

You know, it might be an interesting exercise to make the trilug archive
available as a shared imap folder on the trilug imap server.  Not sure
what you'd want to do, though, to fuzz the e-mail addresses against
spammers.  Perhaps make it only available to logged in users and no
anonymous access?  Just thinking out loud...

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace