[TriLUG] apache2 + ssi

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Feb 10 23:08:13 EST 2006

gentlemen, need some help here....

Trying to get apache2 working with server side includes...applied the
patches I used to have working on my old red hat 9 system apache
1.something config file, doesn't seem to've helped, and google has failed
me....

not that it should matter but I have a patched gentoo system...no funny
mods to apache tho

details:

directory is symlinked from /var/www/localhost/blah ->
/home/william/public_html/blah/

files have valid SSI include syntax (haven't changed them & they are
working on another server)

I've jacked around with the apache2 config file and have the following
things done to it:

--------------------

# ...

# part of the original file
LoadModule include_module                modules/mod_include.so

<Directory />
    # added next two lines
    Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    Options +Includes
    AllowOverride None
    # added this line too
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
</Directory>

# ...
    <Directory /home/*/public_html>
        AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
        # removed one line, added another...
        #Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
        Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Includes

# ...

# added index.shtml to the indexes...this part actually works
DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.html.var

# ...

# added these from my old apache 1 config file but clearly doesn't make
# a difference
AddType text/html .shtml
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

I have no idea why this isn't working but no matter what I turn
on/off/try, I see the following output in the error log, and the SSI
include fails to exec:

[Fri Feb 10 22:52:10 2006] [warn] [client 192.168.1.3] mod_include:
Options +Includes (or IncludesNoExec) wasn't set, INCLUDES filter removed

it seems to me that the options are set...

any help would be appreciated.

William