[TriLUG] hard drive recovery service - try Spin-Rite

Reid Sayre rlsayre at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 12 09:24:43 EST 2006

Pat and Jason,

Spin-Rite has several levels of test/recovery. The first is a read-only
scan and verification test. It is completely non-destructive but will
tell you how many errors there are. The second will try to recover
unreadable data. Higher numbers do more function with the highest level
being the most preventative.

The whole recovery process depends, of course, on the importance of the
data and your budget for recovering it. The last time a drive failed on
my desktop system (before I saw Spin-Rite), estimates started at $1000
and went up from there. Time estimates started at a week and went up
from there. If you go to Google and search for "data recovery service"
you will get a lot of good candidates.

Finally, from a "lessons learned" perspective, you will probably be more
diligent about backup after this. There are various on-line backup tools
for this and there has been some discussion on this list lately. For the
moment, I use a service  from http://www.ibackup.com for my critical
files (not particularly valuable to other people, but hard to recreate
if lost). Every morning about 2:30, the client agent wakes up and sends
a copy of all the files that are changed up to the service. They have
their own client for Windows and use rsync for Linux. I sleep a lot
easier at night now. I have no business interest in ibackup other than
as a satisfied customer.

Reid Sayre

--
Reid Sayre