[TriLUG] OT: need ideas for a project that just landed in my lap

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Wed Feb 15 17:15:04 EST 2006

What I would do is hijack one of the LEDs on the access point. I'm not
sure about the ASUS, but the LEDs are often programmable by
software. You should be able to use the LED output to power a
transistor switch, or maybe a relay, that would trigger the gate.

Another way to do it without much programming would be to buy pretty
much any USB device that has a LED.... often the LED will turn on when
the driver for the device is loaded, and turn off when the driver is
unloaded.

The Soekris has some GPIO pins that would fit the bill perfectly. They
probably even are able to supply enough current that you don't need
any transistor amplifiers....

-Nathan