[TriLUG] syslog.conf

Scott Lundgren trilug at capitalfellow.com
Thu Feb 16 15:47:10 EST 2006

I'm having a brain dead afternoon with syslog.conf on Solaris 9. I'm
starting up pure-ftpd as a standalone daemon as the root user and the
errors from the application are dumping into /var/adm/messages rather
than it's own log file where I'd like for it go. 'man syslog.conf'
shows me my choices for facilities are user, kern, mail,
daemon,auth,lpr and news. So ftp or local2 do not seem to be choices
to redirect. What should syslog.conf be to redirect the error
messages of pure-ftpd to its own file?

Here's my /etc/syslog.conf

*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit      /var/adm/messages
*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err                              operator
*.alert
   root
*.emerg                                                               *

# portions i've added
# user processes
user.err                                                               /
var/adm/user

# daemon proceses
daemon.err                                                       /var/
adm/daemon

and still I get in /var/log/messages

Feb 16 15:30:30 wssun2 pure-ftpd: [ID 383463 local2.error] (?
@selundgr-pc.$WORK.$DOMAIN) [ERROR] The SQL server seems to be down