[TriLUG] Why I hate e-mail (was: Lunch Friday?)

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:50:08 EST 2006

On 2/20/06, Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue.fan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yes, I'm perfectly aware I could have gone alone, and I've
> > > had plenty of lunches at CF by myself. :-)
> >
> > Phil, no need to get all touchy.  My message wasn't at
> > all serious (you did see the :-) at the end of my sentence, right?)
>

> <not to be taken seriously>
>
> Tanner,  my message wasn't at
> all serious (you did see the :-) at the end of my sentence, right?)
>
> </not to be taken seriously>
>

> For the record, e-mail SUCKS as a form of communication.  Too
> much subtle stuff gets lost, even using emoticons and pseudo-xml tags.

I LONG AGO learned that the best policy is to give the sender/poster
the benefit of every doubt when reading.  It's far better to assume
that your chances of correctly interpreting the tone of an email or
posting is only 50/50 instead of the 90% most readers assume.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

This isn't really new news, just a new study. I remember Hiltz and
Turoff writing about this in their book "The Network Nation" back in
the 1970s.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site