[TriLUG] Road Runner blocking ports?

Keith Mitchell kmitch at guru.org
Tue Feb 21 09:56:08 EST 2006

It would be interesting to put a picket sniffer (ethereal, etc.) in the
middle and see whats actually going on.  I do know for a fact that RR
did do some magic to prevent FTP servers from working over their cable
modems in the past.  I had this problem about 5 years ago before
switching over to the RR business cable modem.  I was actually using a
GUI ftp client on windows when I detected this.  This particular FTP
client showed you the connection stream (which in essence served as a
sniffer).

Normally the FTP protocol will either issue a 'PORT' or a 'PASV' command
to setup the data port (after logging in successfully).  But what I saw
was this command was coming across the wire incorrectly... I forget
exactly what it looked like, but they had changed one letter of these
commands which was causing FTP to not be able to setup its data
connection.  I moved my ftp server to a different port (something like
10021... it was for my own use anyways and not public so I didn't care
at the time) and it worked fine.

I don't know if they are still doing this or not, but that was my
experience about 5 years ago,

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch at guru.org			PGP key available upon request