[TriLUG] Want to create a Linux "Tool Box".

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:06:00 EST 2006

If you want a Linux Toolbox for Windows, start with knoppix for sure. You
can get under the hood
of a Windows machine quite well with knoppix. You can recover data, remove
unwanted files, fix
Windows boot issues, etc. It's also very easy to use if your used to a
Windows world.

Personally, I use knoppix-std, which is a security distribution [bootable]
and I have a diskless PHLAK [bootable]box running that constantly monitors
my network traffic.

http://www.knoppix.org/
http://www.knoppix-std.org/
http://www.phlak.org/modules/news/

As far as a toolbox FOR linux goes, well, Linux IS the toolbox. Ryan hit the
nail on the head in his reply.

On 2/22/06, Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com> wrote:

> I don't know if you'll find the same sort of "toolbox" for Linux that
> you keep around for Windows - and that's good.  With Windows, there are
> lots of things that go on "under the hood" which few of us ever get to
> really see and understand.  I think this is a big reason why people like
> to collect the kinds of tools you have collected for Windows.  Now
> before you discount this as anti-Microsoft rhetoric, let me just assure
> you that I've spent my time as an MCSE in MS-centric IT shops.  I was
> even born and raised in Redmond -- really -- and its a beautiful place,
> but none of this changes the fact that you don't get to, and don't
> really need to, understand exactly what is happening in the bowels of
> Windows, because by and large you can't see or modify its behavior
> anyway, short of manipulating the user interface MS has decided to
> provide to you.
>
> With Linux, you have the benefit of being able to see, understand, and
> manipulate anything and everything.  Best of all, even if you don't want
> to change a thing, you get to see what is happening - exactly - when
> things go wrong.
>
> Your Linux toolkit then might consist of these:
>
> 1. A boot CD - there are lots to choose from with all the things you'd
> probably consider "the tools"
>
> 2. knowledge and comfort with ssh and netcat - these get you where you
> need to be
>
> 3. knowledge and comfort reading man pages and log files - these tell
> you what you need to know - really
>

> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:01 -0500, Chad Thomsen wrote:
> > I work as a net admin and over the years I have accumulated quite a few
> free
> > Windows based tools I have burned to a CD and call it my "Windows Tool
> > Box".  It contains all sorts of utilties for troubleshooting, recovering
> and
> > fixing windows based issues.
> >
> > That being said I was wanting to put togather a Linux tool box.  Thing
> is my
> > knowledge and experience is much less then windows so I am not sure what
> > cool tools are available for this sort of thing.
> >
> > Any suggestions much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chad

Carl Crider