[TriLUG] Lunch Friday?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Feb 23 00:54:02 EST 2006

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:
>
>> Shortly after I moved to Dallas, TX I asked a lot of questions about the
>> different forms of y'all...  All the natives I talked to agreed with:
>
> Hahahaha!  Dallas? Southern?  Surely you jest.  Texan, yes, but
> southern?  Doubtful...

Funny, where I come from the south is anything not north of the
Mason-Dixon line :).

>> "y'all" seems to be much like "you" in that it can be both singular and
>> plural, but it is most often plural.  "All y'all" is always plural, and
>> it really means to encompass the whole group, not just most of it (i
>> suppose that makes it VERY plural? :p).
>
> As I said before, "y'all" is NEVER plural.  They must have some
> really funny ideas there in Dallas! :-P

So, you are saying you can't walk into a room an say "How y'all doin'?"
to a small group of people? :)

>> I also discovered "both y'all," which is a plural form referring to two
>> and only two.  You can appends an apostrophe "s" to any of these to make
>> them possessive :).
>
> Now that sounds reasonable.

I reckon so!  :)

>> My other two favorite words I learned were "larapin" and "tump".
>> "Larapin" apparently means "delicious" and "tumped" is apparently a
>> combination of "tip" and "dump."
>
> Must be Texan speak because those aren't southern words.

I don't know much about "tump."  I did, however, need to check with my
friend Google to make sure I spelled "larapin" properly...  Google
didn't make me think it had anything to do with Texas, however...

My friend who told me about this word was originally from a small town
near Texarkana.  When I asked one of my friends who grew up in Dallas
about this word he explained to me that you'd likely only ever hear it
in small backwater towns.  I would tend to agree, since I actually heard
the word used in a western just the other week (I believe it was on
Bonanza, but I can't be sure :p).

> Texas is first and foremost Texan, before southern and definitely before
> american.  Any language research done there will not yield true southern
> information.

Now that sounds like it was spoken by a Texan :).

> Alabama (Sweet Home!), Missississippi, Georgia (except Atlanta),
> Tennessee and South Carolina, sure, but beyond that they get some
> funny ideas... :-P

Hey, I work with what I've got :).

Pat