[TriLUG] Lunch Friday?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Feb 23 11:31:19 EST 2006

> Exactly what I was trying to say, but said MUCH better.  Thanks.

My pleasure. :-)

>>A-MEN!*  heh.  And for the love of Pete (though I don't believe I've seen
>>anyone make this mistake in this thread, I just mention it as a pet peeve of
>>mine) it's y'all, and not ya'll.  You + all.  Not ya + all.
>

> Um, Brian, I've gone back and read that 4 times now and I don't see it
> spelled "ya'll" anywhere except where you're complaining about it.  You're
> very right that it is, indeed, "y'all", but I think you read over the quote a
> bit too fast...

Who's reading the quote too fast?  I said I didn't see anyone make that
mistake in this thread; I just mentioned it because it's a pet peeve of
mine I often do see. :-)

> True.  "You" in the English language is properly both singular
> and plural, which can be extremely confusing, so "y'all" takes the place
> of the plural version of "you" and can be used in all circumstances that
> a plural you could be used.  Brian, I would posit that in your example
> above, the actual phrase in mind was originall "all of y'all" but that the
> "f" was at some point dropped leaving the remaining "o" to basically
> be swallowed in the phrase and therefore shortened to just "all y'all".

Indeed.  I considered making it "all o' y'all" as I typed it, but
decided the truth undermined my point too much. ;-)

>>Heh.  Now back to translation lookaside buffer simulators...
>

> Well, this is sort of on topic, perhaps, maybe, as this entire thread
> is sort of a "lookaside". O:-)

That's just what I was working on before I took a moment to jump in on
the conversation.. :-)  No relation to the original thread topic (which,
by the subject header, might have been lunch?).

~Brian