[TriLUG] raid cards

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Feb 25 10:49:29 EST 2006

Wing D Lizard wrote:

> I want to add a raid-1 to a server ( supermicro x5dal).  Since the
> motherboard doesn't support hw raid, I'm looking at pci sata
> cards.
>
> Intrex has a couple:
>
>   CON-SATAR - sil3112a chipset
>   CON-TX2300 - promice fastrack tx2300 ( SATA II??)
>
> has anybody tried either of these?  Any problems?

Okay, so I'm like 10 days late on checking my TriLUG mail, and it
shows.  :)  Still, I couldn't help but respond to this posting.  There
was lost of discussion about the Promise offerings, as well as the
Silicon Image (SiL) chipset cards, both onboard and off.  Strangely, I
happen to have done a lot of side-by-side testing of these very
chipsets, in the not-too-distant past.  While working for Intrex, I got
called out to Duke to help debug a problem with a workstation in one of
the labs.  In short, they were getting abysmal disk performance on this
particular RAID card we had shipped them, compared to the
nearly-identical SCSI-based system sitting right next to it.  Note that
they weren't actually using the RAID functionality of the card, just
using it as a disk controller for 4 reasonably-fast SATA disks.  They
were running RHEL 3, and wanted to improve the performance of their SATA
disks, or at least understand why it was so bad in comparison. Upon
close inspection, there were actually two SATA controllers in the box,
two ports onboard, on the Intel motherboard, controlled by "a SiL
chipset of ill repute".  In short, the Promise card was *considerably*
faster than the SiL chipset (something on the order of 8x if my memory
is correct), particularly when attempting to write to more than one disk
at a time.  Further investigation into this problem turned up some very
interesting comments in one of the *BSD's kernel driver code for the SiL
chipset, written by the developer, where he basically explicitly stated
that no one should ever use that chipset.  :)  In short, the hardware
itself wasn't able to properly handle reading and writing to more than
one drive at a time, even though the chipset claimed to be capable of
it, it basically wigged out when attempting to do so, causing all manner
of failures.  This resulted in ugly work arounds, at the expense of
performance, to ensure that this didn't happen by accident.  I didn't
find similar comments in the Linux kernel, but I suspect similar
tom-foolery was at work, hence the perceived differences.

Even after getting all the drivers over on the Promise controller, and
tuning every thing to the nines, I still couldn't get with in swinging
distance of the performance of the SCSI system, which hadn't been tuned
in the slightest, they just installed a stock RHEL3 and ran with it.  I
think the SCSI system was something like 40 to 50% faster.  Bear in
mind, of course, that the *drives* in the SCSI system were also
substantially better, they were 10k rpm drives, vs the 7200rpm drives in
the SATA system, so it's not entirely the fault of the transfer channel,
but a happy accident of the type of hardware available on both
platforms.  It's also true that things may have changed in the ~2 years
since I last banged my head against this problem.

Aaron S. Joyner