[TriLUG] Books for Linux+, or should I look at something else to quickly learn linux? Or is Linux+ a waste of time?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Feb 25 12:13:00 EST 2006

Chad Thomsen wrote:

>In a few months my schedule is going to free itself up so I figued I would
>try and take the fast track to learning linux.  I have a linux box at home,
>and one here at work.  I am slowly incorporating linux based programs in my
>Windows/as400 centric network. I have been fumbling with it when I have time
>but have not dedicated much time to it lately because free time is at a
>premium right now.  I would like to "really" learn linux so I thougth about
>Linux+.  Is it a waste of time?  If its not, what books do you recommend?
>Will it open any doors in the future if I have it on my resume.  I figured
>it would not hurt.  Any opinions or advice?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Chad

If you're just looking to learn the basics of Linux, I'd suggest looking
over anything that covers the course material for the LPI 101 and 102
exams, and if you do well with those the 200 series exams.  These
comprise a good distribution agnostic knowledge of basic Linux skills.
Of course, you should approach it looking for ways to get things done,
and try to apply the things you learn along the way, otherwise you'll be
another guy with a paper cert who doesn't really know how to apply any
of the multiple choice answers to something practical.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner