[TriLUG] recovering from X crash

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Sun Feb 26 09:29:02 EST 2006

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> This is a home machine and I can recover by rebooting, but I'd like a
> better way.
>
> I run all my big cronjobs on sat night (backup, disk health...) and
> sometimes on sunday morning, my screen is blank/black and not
> responsive to the keyboard/mouse. Coming in from another machine, I
> find X isn't running and I see page allocation errors in the logs.
> Presumaby the machine has run out of memory and X was killed.
>
> Is there a way to bring up the console login on the machine again?
>
> Thanks Joe

Joe,

If you can ssh in, then you should be able to init 3 the box.  Following
init 3, give it an init 5 and that may get you back to the console
login.  I would check /var/log/message and /var/log/X.org.0.log
carefully as this is not a happy behavior.

Have you parsed through what you are running to see if you can find a
correlation in what is killing X?  I would expect is every Sunday
morning if you are running the same thing on each Sat night, so the
inconsistency seems strange to me.

73

Matthew Lavigne