[TriLUG] recovering from X crash

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Feb 26 11:09:30 EST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Matthew Lavigne wrote:

> Joe,
>
> If you can ssh in, then you should be able to init 3 the box.

Matthew and Randy,

I should have mentioned that init 3 didn't give back the
console prompt. I didn't try init 5 as I expected that this
would attempt to bring up X on the remote machine (although
I don;t know). I didn't try alt F1 (I did try ctrl-alt
F1..F10 but that didn't work - maybe I've forgotten the
syntax for virtual screens and it's alt Fx).

> Following init 3, give it an init 5 and that may get you
> back to the console login.  I would check /var/log/message
> and /var/log/X.org.0.log carefully as this is not a happy
> behavior.

the logs indicate I ran out of memory. Until now I'd thought
that only X dies and my jobs all complete. Presumably when
memory is tight, anything can be killed and it's only so far
that I notice when X has been killed. Possibly something is
killed everytime and some sunday mornings when I come back
and X is still running, one of my cronjobs (or nfs...) could
have been killed and it didn't occur to me that anything was
wrong.

There's a lot of gzip'ing of large files.

> Have you parsed through what you are running to see if you
> can find a correlation in what is killing X?  I would
> expect is every Sunday morning if you are running the same
> thing on each Sat night, so the inconsistency seems
> strange to me.

I hadn't thought about that :-( maybe it is completely
consistent and something is being killed consistently every
sat night.

> 73

73 de Joe NA3T