[TriLUG] recovering from X crash

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Feb 26 17:31:05 EST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On 2/26/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by the remote machine here, are you
> thinking of the remote machine as the one you are sshing
> into, or the one you are sshing from?

Yes I see that's ambiguous. sorry. the remote machine is the
one that I'm coming in from. the local machine is the one
with X down.

> If you're sshing into the machine that you want to bring X
> back up on, then init 5 (telinit 5) is going to bring that
> machine to runlevel 5, which seems to be your goal here.

yes.

the machine of interest is busy typing this right now, so I
tried it on another machine sitting in console mode. I came
in from a remote machine in an xterm. At the console
machine's prompt, I typed `startx` and the console machine's
monitor leapt into X, with all the startx stdout being
displayed on the remote machine. I didn't know you could do
that - I've never ran startx from anywhere but the console
before. I had assumed with DISPLAY etc not set that the
machine running startx wouldn't know where to display. I
guess I need to look into which machine is the X server and
which one is the client and which one looks for DISPLAY etc.
I've never been able to keep that straight.

Neato. I'm ready for next sunday morning.

The problem I was really trying to solve was how to get the
login prompt back on the machine with X crashed and have
that machine running in console mode. Do you know how to do
that?

Thanks

Joe