[TriLUG] Deploying Linux to...Aunt Marge

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 11:03:42 EST 2006

If you _have_ an old Mac you can pass on, that's great, but otherwise
you're looking at buying a Mac new or buying a mac used, in which case
you still have to have the tech savvy to troubleshoot aging hardware.

If your budget allows (mine doesn't) and you simply cannot spare the
time to thow together a linux box (I can), a new Mac is a fantastic
option, BUT it's neither free as in beer nor free as in freedom. It's
better than having them use one of those systems from Redmond, but at
what cost?

I would love to get my hands on a MacBook Pro in the same way I'd love
to get my hands on a Ferrari, but in both cases I feel I can make a
compelling argument for something else.

Linux is free, the hardware is cheap, and with Ubuntu the learning
curve for the user is relatively easy. I think deploying Ubuntu to
"Aunt Marge" works. I don't think I could justify buying Aunt Marge a
new Mac, even if I could afford it.

Again, used hardware is another argument. Gimme your old iBooks :)

-CMP