[TriLUG] Monitor Auto Power Weirdness

Randall Barlow randall_barlow at ncsu.edu
Mon Feb 27 11:03:55 EST 2006

Owen Berry wrote:

>Do you have anything being logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log when this
>happens? What are your DPMS settings in your xorg.conf? What video card
>are you using? I would assume it's either hardware or configuration
>specific as this doesn't happen to me on my Gentoo box.

Well, actually I seem to have solved the problem by editing gdm.conf and
adding lines to get xscreensaver to be the background process, and then
adding a .xscreensaver file to /home/gdm/ with the proper power
management settings.

But to answer your questions, I don't know about the Xorg log, but dpms
is enabled (since power management does work properly when logged in),
it's an older nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64.  So yeah, gdm.conf *seems* to
have fixed it so far.  Thanks for the reply though!

--
Randy Barlow
Research Assistant
randall_barlow at ncsu.edu