[TriLUG] HOWTO: Create PDFs using Samba but not CUPS

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:54:19 EST 2006

I presume with %s %U that you *are* authenticating to the share using
LDAP credetials?  Also, I'm trying to understand the origin of:
User = "$2"
Is this a value in some array gathered ($2) where the %U value comes
through from SMB to the bash script?  Here are the changes I made:

in smb.conf:
print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s
is now
print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s %U (there's a space between those items)

in printpdf script:
DATE=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`
User="$2"
filename="$User_$DATE"
OUTDIR=/pdfdropbox
ps2pdf $1 $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp
mv $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp $OUTDIR/$filename.pdf
rm $1

I noticed there were single back ticks vs " and wasn't sure what
effect that has either.  Of course.  Do I have to have successful auth
to SMB with an AD user to have a value in %U or will it still pickup
the username of the user logged into the workstation (as was sort of
eluded to)?

Currently I still get: Feb27-134739.pdf  as my filename format. No user info.

thanks!
David