[TriLUG] HOWTO: Create PDFs using Samba but not CUPS

Matt McGrievy mcgrievy at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 28 09:20:40 EST 2006

Hi David,

Following up on Rick's post, seeing "security=share" in your smb.conf
reminded me of this little passage in the samba docs about username
confusion with share-level security:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ServerType.html#id2527269
In share-level security, the client authenticates itself separately for
each share. It sends a password along with each tree connection request
(share mount), but it does not explicitly send a username with this
operation. The client expects a password to be associated with each
share, independent of the user. This means that Samba has to work out
what username the client probably wants to use, the SMB server is not
explicitly sent the username. Some commercial SMB servers such as NT
actually associate passwords directly with shares in share-level
security, but Samba always uses the UNIX authentication scheme where it
is a username/password pair that is authenticated, not a share/password
pair.

So I guess that means that Samba CAN figure out the username, but maybe
that's biting you in some way.  I don't know how it works if you're
going through an AD (maybe Windows passes the right username or maybe it
authenticates as a guest?).  That could explain why you're getting the
"nobody" username on the print jobs.  It's possible that you'll have to
use user or domain security.  The rest of the page above may be able to
shed some light.

-Matt