[TriLUG] HOWTO: Create PDFs using Samba but not CUPS

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:40:58 EST 2006

Based on Steve's example config, how do we explain why he gets a value
in %U with security = share and I don't when I set mine up
identically?  The only difference I see is in our samba versions.  my
3.0.10x vs his 3.0.12x

%u is what I used when I got the nobody value, not %U.

If I set security = user, nothing works, the printer nor the share for
pickup b/c there are no users in my smbpasswd list.  I would suspect
even if I created a list of my users with blank passwords it would
still fail b/c the logged in windows user's password wouldn't match
the smbpasswd list, thus failure to connect.  Thoughts?

thanks folks for all your ideas so far!
David