[TriLUG] Re: Laptop installation question

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Mar 1 11:59:37 EST 2006

I don't recall which model laptop this thread is about, but I'd like to
insert a caveat on this for late model Thinkpads.  Overwriting the MBR
on these will disable access to the POST-time diagnostics, utilities,
and restore partition. :-(  I ended up downloading a small utility
program to help me set up the windows boot loader to boot either WinXP
or Linux on my T43.

IBM/Lenovo is using an extended boot record to handle their
diagnostics/recovery stuff.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/